China temporary export ban hit Australia
Australian meat industry remain hopeful for a quick resolution for the temporary ban on exports to China from six Australian meat porcessors. The suspensions sent trade officials and industry representatives into overdrive when news of the ban, which affects five companies, emerged in Australia late on Tuesday afternoon. Trade Minister Steve Ciobo said it was “a very significant situation” and the Government had “mobilised quickly” to engage Chinese authorities on the issue.
Australia became aware of the ban this week and government officials have been locked in discussions with Chinese counterparts to swiftly restore access to a market that imported 160,000 tonnes of Australian red meat last year. China’s import inspection agency, the General Administration for the Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ), suspended red meat imports from six meatpackers. All meat with a departure date of 24 July or later is still subject to a ban. The processor said it came as China allowed access to up to a dozen new US beef plants in the past few days, after the US regained access to China’s beef market in May.